Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS) – Post Graduate Teachers (PGT) Mathematics Exam Pattern & Syllabus
Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan (KVS), henceforth mentioned as KVS, an autonomous organization under the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India invites Online applications from Indian Citizens for recruitment to the Teaching and Miscellaneous Teaching posts for the years 2012-13 and 2013-14.
Exam Pattern For Post Graduate Teachers (PGT) Mathematics : That Paper Divided in Two Part But have only One Paper. The Test Will be of 03 hours duration.
Part I : This Part will comprise of 40 multiple choice questions in English and Hindi subjects.
- Subject : English and Hindi
- No. Of Question : 20 – 20 Question
- Total Marks : 40 marks
Part II : This Part will consist of 160 multiple type questions. The Part II of the candidate will be evaluated only if he/she qualifies Part I securing 5 marks each in English & Hindi subjects and 13 marks in aggregate in English and Hindi.
- Subject : Current Affairs
- No. Of Question : 20 Question
- Total Marks : Mark
- Subject : Reasoning and Numerical Ability
- No. Of Question : 20 Question
- Total Marks : 20 Mark
- Subject : Teaching Methodology
- No. Of Question : 20 Question
- Total Marks : 20 Mark
- Subject Concerned : Mathematics
- No. Of Question : 100 Questions
- Total Marks : 100 Mark
Note : The final merit will be based on the performance of the candidate in written test (Part II) and interview. The weightage of written test (Part II) and interview will be 70:30.
Syllabus For Written Examination For PGT (Mathematics) :
- Sets : Sets and their representations. Empty set. Finite & Infinite sets. Equal sets. Subsets. Subsets of the set of real numbers. Power set. Universal set. Venn diagrams. Union and Intersection of sets. Difference of sets. Complement of a set.
- Relations & Functions : Ordered pairs, Cartesian product of sets. Number of elements in the cartesian product of two finite sets. Cartesian product of the reals with itself (upto R x R x R). Definition of relation, pictorial diagrams, domain. co-domain and range of a relation. Function as a special kind of relation from one set to another. Pictorial representation a function, domain, co-domain & range of a function. Real valued function of the real variable, domain and range of these functions, constant, identity, polynomial, rational, modulus, signum and greatest integer functions with their graphs. Sum, difference, product and quotients of functions. Sets and their Representations. Union, intersection and complements of sets, and their algebraic properties, Relations, equivalence relations, mappings, one-one, into and onto mappings, composition of mappings.
- Principle of Mathematical Induction : Processes of the proof by induction. The principle of mathematical induction.
- Permutations & Combinations : Fundamental principle of counting. Factorial n. Permutations and combinations, derivation of formulas and their connections, simple applications.
- Complex Numbers : Complex numbers, Algebraic properties of complex numbers, Argand plane and polar representation of complex numbers, Statement of Fundamental Theorem of Algebra, solution of quadratic equations in the complex number system. Modulus and Argument of a complex number, square root of a complex number. Cube roots of unity, triangle inequality.
- Linear Inequalities : Algebraic solutions of linear inequalities in one variable and their representation on the number line. Graphical solution of linear inequalities in two variables. Solution of system of linear inequalities in two variables- graphically. Absolute value, Inequality of means, Cauchy-Schwarz Inequality, Tchebychef’s Inequality.
- Binomial Theorem : Statement and proof of the binomial theorem for positive integral indices. Pascal’s triangle, general and middle term in binomial expansion, simple applications. Binomial Theorem for any index. Properties of Binomial Co-efficients. Simple applications for approximations.
- Sequence and Series : Sequence and Series. Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic progressions (G.P.), General terms and sum to n terms of A.P., G.P. and H.P. Arithmetic Mean (A.M.), Geometric Mean (G.M.), and Harmonic Mean (H.M.), Relation between A.M., G.M. and H.M. Insertion of Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic means between two given numbers. Special series, Sum to n terms of the special series. . Arithmetico-Geometric Series, Exponential and Logarithmic series.
- Elementary Number Theory : Peano’s Axioms, Principle of Induction; First Principle, Second Principle, Third Principle, Basis Representation Theorem, Greatest Integer Function Test of Divisibility, Euclid’s algorithm, The Unique Factorisation Theorem, Congruence, Sum of divisors of a number . Euler’s totient function, Theorems of Fermat and Wilson.
- Quadratic Equations : Quadratic equations in real and complex number system and their solutions. Relation between roots and co-efficients, nature of roots, formation of quadratic equations with given roots; Symmetric functions of roots, equations reducible to quadratic equations – application to practical problems.
Polynomial functions, Remainder & Factor Theorems and their converse, Relation between roots and coefficients, Symmetric functions of the roots of an equation. Common roots.
- Matrices and Determinants : Determinants and matrices of order two and three, properties of determinants, Evaluation of determinants. Area of triangles using determinants, Addition and multiplication of matrices, adjoint and inverse of matrix. Test of consistency and solution of simultaneous linear equations using determinants and matrices.
- Two dimensional Geometry : Cartesian system of rectangular co-ordinates in a plane, distance formula, section formula, area of a triangle, condition for the collinearity of three points, centroid and in-centre of a triangle, locus and its equation, translation of axes, slope of a line, parallel and perpendicular lines, intercepts of a line on the coordinate axes.
Various forms of equations of a line, intersection of lines, angles between two lines, conditions for concurrence of three lines, distance of a point from a line, Equations of internal and external bisectors of angles between two lines, coordinates of centroid, orthocentre and circumcentre of a triangle, equation of family of lines passing through the point of intersection of two lines, homogeneous equation of second degree in x and y, angle between pair of lines through the origin, combined equation of the bisectors of the angles between a pair of lines, condition for the general second degree equation to represent a pair of lines, point of intersection and angle between two lines.
Standard form of equation of a circle, general form of the equation of a circle, its radius and centre, equation of a circle in the parametric form, equation of a circle when the end points of a diameter are given, points of intersection of a line and a circle with the centre at the origin and condition for a line to be tangent to the circle, length of the tangent, equation of the
tangent, equation of a family of circles through the intersection of two circles, condition for two intersecting circles to be orthogonal.
Sections of cones, equations of conic sections (parabola, ellipse and hyperbola) in standard forms, condition for y = mx + c to be a tangent and point(s) of tangency.
- Trigonometric Functions : Positive and negative angles. Measuring angles in radians & in degrees and conversion from one measure to another. Definition of trigonometric functions with the help of unit circle. Graphs of trigonometric functions. Expressing sin (x+y) and cos (x+y) in terms of sinx, siny, cosx & cosy. Identities related to sin2x, cos2x, tan 2x, sin3x, cos3x and tan3x. Solution of trigonometric equations, Proofs and simple applications of sine and cosine formulae. Solution of triangles. Heights and Distances.
- Inverse Trigonometric Functions : Definition, range, domain, principal value branches. Graphs of inverse trigonometric functions. Elementary properties of inverse trigonometric functions.
- Differential Calculus : Polynomials, rational, trigonometric, logarithmic and exponential functions, Inverse functions. Graphs of simple functions. Limits, Continuity and differentiability; Derivative, Geometrical interpretation of the derivative, Derivative of sum, difference, product and quotient of functions. Derivatives of polynomial and trigonometric functions, Derivative of composite functions; chain rule, derivatives of inverse trigonometric functions, derivative of implicit function. Exponential and logarithmic functions and their derivatives. Logarithmic differentiation. Derivative of functions expressed in parametric forms. Second order derivatives. Rolle’s and Lagrange’s Mean Value Theorems and their geometric interpretations.
- Applications of Derivatives : Applications of derivatives: rate of change, increasing / decreasing functions, tangents & normals, approximation, maxima and minima.
- Integral Calculus : Integral as an anti-derivative. Fundamental integrals involving algebraic, trigonometric, exponential and logarithmic functions. Integration by substitution, by parts and by partial fractions. Integration using trigonometric identities. Definite integrals as a limit of a sum, Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Basic Properties of definite integrals and evaluation of definite integrals; Applications of definite integrals in finding the area under simple curves, especially lines, areas of circles / Parabolas / ellipses, area between the two curves.
- Differential Equations : Definition, order and degree, general and particular solutions of a differential equation. Formation of differential equation whose general solution is given. Solution of differential equations by method of separation of variables, homogeneous differential equations of first order and first degree. Solutions of linear differential equation.
- Vectors : Vectors and scalars, magnitude and direction of a vector. Direction cosines / ratios of vectors. Types of vectors (equal, unit, zero, parallel and collinear vectors), position vector of a point, negative of a vector, components of a vector, addition of vectors, multiplication of a vector by a scalar, position vector of a point dividing a line segment in a given ratio. Scalar (dot) product of vectors, projection of a vector on a line. Vector (cross) product of vectors.
- Three dimensional Geometry : Coordinates of a point in space, distance between two points; Section formula, Direction cosines / ratios of a line joining two points. Cartesian and vector equation of a line, coplanar and skew lines, shortest distance between two lines. Cartesian and vector equation of a plane. Angle between (i) two lines, (ii) two planes. (iii) a line and a plane. Distance of a point from a plane. Scalar and vector triple product. Application of vectors to plane geometry. Equation of a sphere, its centre and radius. Diameter form of the equation of a sphere.
- Statistics : Calculation of Mean, median and mode of grouped and ungrouped data. Measures of dispersion; mean deviation, variance and standard deviation of ungrouped / grouped data. Analysis of frequency distributions with equal means but different variances.
- Probability : Random experiments: outcomes, sample spaces. Events: occurrence of events, exhaustive events, mutually exclusive events, Probability of an event, probability of ‘not’, ‘and’ & ‘or’ events., Multiplication theorem on probability. Conditional probability, independent events, Baye’s theorem, Random variable and its probability distribution, Binomial and Poisson distributions and their properties.
- Linear Algebra : Examples of vector spaces, vector spaces and subspace, independence in vector spaces, existence of a Basis, the row and column spaces of a matrix, sum and intersection of subspaces. Linear Transformations and Matrices, Kernel, Image, and Isomorphism, change of subspaces.
- Analysis : Monotone functions and functions of bounded variation. Real valued functions, continuous functions, Absolute continuity of functions, standard properties. Uniform continuity, sequence of functions, uniform convergence, power series and radius of convergence. Riemann-Stieltjes integration, standard properties, multiple integrals and their evaluation by repeated integration, change of variable in multiple integration. Uniform convergence in improper integrals, differentiation under the sign of integral – Leibnitz rule.
Dirichlet integral, Liouville’s extension. Introduction to n-dimensional Euclidean space, open and closed intervals (rectangles), compact sets, Bolzano-Weierstrass theorem, Heine-Borel theorem. Maxima-minima of functions of several variables, constrained maxima-minima of functions. Analytic function, Cauchy-Riemann equations, singularities, Statement of Cauchy theorem and of Cauchy integral formula with applications, Residue and contour integration. Fourier and Laplace transforms, Mellin’s inversion theorem.